Weapon Self Defense
In the Weapon Self-Defense division will be a traditional fight „weapon vs. weapon” . The weapons used for the Self-Defense performances have to be real weapons ( not sharpened but made from iron / wood / metal and not from plastik or silicon ).Just traditional Martial Arts Weapons are allowed or traditional national weapons of somebody’s country . All weapons must be used in a very traditional manner and not in a very modern survival one . The Chairmen of Referees has the final decision in this case.
TEAMS in “WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE”
There are two ( 2 ) kinds of WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE teams :
- MALE teams is composed by two (2) members male , having the same age category.
- FEMALE teams is composed by two (2) members female , having the same age category.
Age Categories in “WEAPON SELF_DEFENSE”
- Juniors : 16-18 (16,17) Female , 16-18 Male (16,17) , 16-18 (16,17) Mixt
- Youths : 18-20 (18,19) Female , 18-20 (18,19) Male , 18-20 (18,19) Mixt
- Seniors B : 20-37 Female , 20-37 Male
- Seniors A ( Masters ) : +37 Female , +37 Male
Time limit of “WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE” divisions .
- Each team must take care of the time limits of their performances which will be mandatory as follows : 2-4 minutes .
Disqualification in “WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE”
- If one team is not coming after de head referees call them by the microphone to compete, after 30 seconds follows disqualification.
- When a team stop the performance before the end, disqualification will follow.
- When an member of a team moves out of the competition area, the team will be disqualified.
–When the performance is less or more than the time limit.
Presentation in “WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE”
- When the name of team is announced for the first time by the head referee, the team takes place in an area or on the chair(s) special destinated in the back of the Competition area.
- When the name of team is announced for the second time by the head referee, the team has to start their presentation followed by their WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE performance .
- The team walks in front of the head referee , salute to the head referee and speak out loud the next information for the jury : country name, number of the team . This information will be made very short , simply and very clear by the head of the team ( Example : Finland , Team 1 ) .
- The head referee gives a signal by a gong to the team to start their performance .
- The team walks to the point they have to start their performance , salute again and start when they are ready to do it . This is the moment when the counter-time will start .
- When the competitor or team is ready with their performance they salute the head referee again, and the head referee give’s for the second time a gong-signal. This is the moment when the counter-time will be stopped .
- All the competitors will wait , before and after their performance , outside the competition area in a decent manner .
How to win in “WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE”
- The decision will be taken by the majority of referees .
- The competition in Self-Defense there will be always one team compete against another team.
- The winning team will go in the next round, the losing team is out of the competition.
- The last 4 teams will compete for place 1 to 4 in that competition.
Refereeing and Judgeing in ”WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE”
- The refereeing system within the International Kempo Federation is by having 3-5 referees.
- The referee team is separate in 1 head referee and 2 or 4 site referees.
- In the semi-finals there are 3 referees of different countries.
- In the finals there are 3 or 5 referees depending by the organizer staff of the IKF .
- The decision will be taken directly by the referees as follows : the side referees and the head referee will watch in the same direction and they will show the winner of them directly by their bleu or red stick, at once at the sign of the head referee .
- The decision will be taken by the majority of referees .
How to create and how to perform a “WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE”
- Each team must take care of the time limit of their performances which will be mandatory between 2-4 minutes . Less or more than this limits will mean disqualification .
- Each team must perform strictly 4 scenarios which must look as small traditional fights , using Weapon Self-Defense techniques in a traditional but also in a choreographic manner .
- Each scenario will be performed in first with slow-motion and immediately after in the real-speed ( ex: first scenario slow-motion, first scenario real-speed, second scenario slow-motion, second scenario real-speed, and so on ) .
Note : In Weapon Self-Defense divisions a „scenario” means a traditional fight choreography based on weapon self-defence applications . The way of working a scenario is like “ attack , counter-attack , attack , counter-attack ......and finalization .
Judging System in “WEAPON SELF-DEFENSE”
Judgeing must use the following FIVE PRINCIPLES :
Presentation: The way of entering on the Competition area , the martial attitude , the introduction , the salute , and the way they are closing the performance .
Slow-motion: The way the group show the application in slow motion. Are the applications good ? Are they hitting with their weapons on the right part of the body ? Is the technique good of all team members?
Normal speed: How is their performance in the normal speed ? It was good, it was to slow...? It was Focus in their techniques ???
Working together: How are the competitors in working together is this minus, normal or extra good in performance? Are they working like a real team, synchronizing their techniques, ....?
Choreography: How it was the choreography? It was realistic? It was realistic enough? It was also attractive and spectacular having inside high standard and level of techniques?
First team who has to compete
- The teams will compete in the order of their registrations . In this way the competitor or team who delayed sending registrations forms will be the first in starting the competition. The first registered competitors will compete in the end of division .